In 2003 U.S decided to invade Iraq. That decision came cooperatively with U.K. The reasons behind the invasion were as follow:
• The governments of both countries claimed Iraq possession of nuclear weapons or as they called it weapons of mass destruction, (Which proved to have no basis since they failed after the war to find any.)
• They also accused President Saddam Hussein of having connections with the Qaeda, (they did not have any evidence to prove that.)
• Following the previous point he was accused of supporting “Palestinian suicide bombers”, (again no clear evidence on that).
• Finally, U.S government claimed that the invasion was due to the Iraqi government abusive regime. They came to spread democracy in Iraq and protect it from any human rights abuse.
Did they? Let us see the consequences of the Iraqi war:
• The numbers of Iraqi refugees increased dramatically along with the numbers of orphans.
• Violence spread in Iraq and strife occurred between Suni and Shia and between other sectarian groups.
• The humanitarian situation in Iraq became one of the most critical in the world.
• Poverty and other social problems.
Recently, the NATO decided to interfere in the Libyan revolution alongside the protesters who called against the Qaddafi abusive regime. The intervention was to protect Libya from this tyrant and from the abuse of human rights. It was not turned to an occupation in Libya’s case. The consequences are not known yet.
Moving to another point; Palestine earns its membership in the UNESCO after a long fight. U.S condemns the vote:
“Today’s vote by the member states of UNESCO to admit Palestine as a member is regrettable, premature, and undermines our shared goal of a comprehensive, just and lasting peace in the Middle East,” Nuland said.
U.S government cuts annual funding it used to offer to UNESCO; as a punishment of taking such step. Taking into consideration UNESCO depends heavily on U.S funding.
Palestine took that step along with its argument that UN should recognize it as a state due to U.S failure as a mediator between Israel and Palestine. Since Israel never executed whatever was agreed upon in any of the peace treaties.
My questions are as follow: what is the exact interest behind U.S interventions in Libya and Iraq? Why Iraq and Libya in specific, Are they the only two countries to suffer from abusive regimes and violations of human rights? Did U.S transform Iraq to a better and democratic country? Do you think the media helped in making the Iraqi war justifiable to people and somehow accepted? As an American citizen what do you think about U.S decision to condemn UNESCO’s vote and decision? Do you agree on describing it as premature and regrettable? What do you think of Palestine? Do you think it deserves to achieve its membership in UN as it is fighting to gain it? What do you think about U.S law which states that funds must be denied to any organization granting the Palestine Liberation Organization “the same standing as member states”?